Pages

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I was the drummer for ZZ Top...

...in my dream last night.

Does it have anything to do with being in graduate school?

In my dream I landed the gig of drummer for ZZ Top in order to fill in for one night. Who knows what happened to their real drummer? At this point in their career, the band had pulled a Charlie Daniels and gone Christian.

So, they were getting set up at this megachurch somewhere in middle America. Sound checks and testing of equipment and all that was going on when I arrived on the scene. I walked down the aisle to where the stage was set and I saw the drumset I was to play later than night. It was a big and shiny drumset (with classic ZZ Top furry stuff on it), the best one I had ever seen in my life. It was centered on the stage for everyone to see. I would be flanked by the two bearded gutarists.

Above and slightly behind the set was a huge screen with the titles of the songs we were to play that night. "Good News," "God," "Gospel Rock," "More God." The song titles were exactly what you might think former southern rockers who had been around the drugs and alcohol block about a hundred time and then suddely turned Christian might title their songs.

There was an excitement brewing as more tech people and stage hands made the set look more and more ready for a show. The sun was setting, it was near evening, and soon people would be arriving to see the show.

In the dream, I never knew how I got to be invited to be the drummer for ZZ Top. We had no prior connection. I'd never met anyone in the band or associated with the band. I was just there and knew I had agreed to be their drummer for the night.

Why I never mentioned the fact that I don't know how to drum is the most perplexing part of the dream. My anxiety surged as the time neared to put on the show. There was a voice screaming in my mind, "Tell them you can't drum! You can still get out of this." But I didn't listen to it. Time was drawing near, but I just couldn't utter the words. The inevitible humiliation was poised to swallow me whole.

And then it was the next day and I was at a Sunday morning church service at the very same megachurch I was supposed to perform at the night before. The service had yet to begin and people were milling about and I saw Spence Smith (perhaps this Spence Smith), also milling about. In my dream (and was it also in real life?) Spense was a very talented drummer. I couldn't believe I saw him and was so excited to tell him something. I told him that I wished I had seen him the night before because I could have landed him a terrific gig with the newly Christianized ZZ Top.

Spence was uninterested, depressed, and hungover (not at all like the real life Spense Smith). He had the skills and talent, but too much was in his way to ever be interested in doing something like that. He shrugged and didn't really want to talk.

The dream ended without any sense that I did actually drum that night with ZZ Top, and if I did, how poorly I performed.

What is clear is that I survived the situation enough to make it to church with a relatively in tact self-esteem.

All of you dream interpreters out there, give it to me.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well clearly you have performance anxiety issues. Some of them are centered around clothing (hello! Sharp Dressed Man!) And you are thinking that Mega Churches are nothing more than a front for cheap concerts with an inadequate drummer (well that may be a stretch).

Mostly I think you ate too much spicy food before bedtime...

Fajita said...

Nice work Donna. Wow. You are an inspired woman.

Fajita said...

Nice work Donna. Wow. You are an inspired woman.

Soren said...

Awesome! Think of the possibilities:
"Gimme all your tithin'"

"Every girl's crazy 'bout the Son of Man"

Anonymous said...

This is really funny because I actually spent about 6 months running errands for Billy Gibbons when they recorded in Memphis during the time Big Tent Revival was starting...thanks for the laugh Fajita!

Fajita said...

Glad to have Spence visit the blog. Crazy ZZ Top/Spence Smith connection. I am going to have to link you, now.

Anonymous said...

Chris!!!! I just realized this is you! Fajita! I was reading this blog to some one last night and the light went off! AH!!! I went to collage with Chris! We called him Fajita! I'm going to post this blog on my blog! It's awesome!

Fajita said...

Aha! Spence, you remember. When you made the cameo in my dream, was instant memory. But then when I woke up, it was like - I really did know this guy, right? Or was he one of those made up dream people?

No, he really is a musicisn - probably a drummer. For some reason it had completely left my mind that you were with Big Tent Revival (I have all the BTR CDs BTW).

Anyway, you're on my bloglines reader so I will be lurking.

spence said...

Chris!!!! I just realized this is you! Fajita! I was reading this blog to some one last night and the light went off! AH!!! I went to collage with Chris! We called him Fajita! I'm going to post this blog on my blog! It's awesome!

spencesmith said...

This is really funny because I actually spent about 6 months running errands for Billy Gibbons when they recorded in Memphis during the time Big Tent Revival was starting...thanks for the laugh Fajita!