Pages

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Minnesota High School Wrestling

When I was in high school, I was part of one of the best high school wrestling programs in the nation, Apple Valley. That was 20 years ago. Tonight, little has changed. Apple Valley High School has once again won the state wrestling tournament.

It was inspiring to watch these guys giving it all they have.

Apple valley is in brown.

Here is an escape for one point.

Pinned!

Actually, this was not considered a pin and I can't for the life of me figure out why. This guy looks flat as a pancake.

Just about a pin.


Looks like trouble.


Locking horns.
Minnesota's winningest coach ever (percentage wise), Jim Jackson.

The finest coaching staff ever. Bill Demaray (left) is the legend who is responsible for starting the dynasty that is Apple valley wrestling. He now serves as an assistant coach.

Jim Jackson (center) inherited Demaray's dynasty and has only made it better.

Dalen Wasmund (right) is a long time Apple Valley assistant who was once an olympic wrestler.

Apple valley wins. 15 team state championships in the past 27 years.

4 comments:

MADMAN said...

Did your brother get up to watch the tourney?

Fajita said...

No, he did not. He had planned on making the trip, but somtimes life asserts a veto and you don't get to do your plans. He would have enjoyed it a great deal.

I did, however, make four calls to him during the match to give him updates and I took some pics (obviously) with my cool new 12X zoom camera.

Sweet bow tie, by the way. Is it a relfection of your admiration for Mark Elrod or Illinois politician Paul Simon. - or is simply your own good taste?

MADMAN said...

Michael Latimore and Paul Pruett (sp?) were my bow tie mentors!

Hey, we'll be in Minnesota June 9-17 (MSP 9, 10, 11, and night of 16). It'd be good to see you if you have the time.

Drop me an email sometime and let me know. mdaesq AT mac DOT com.

MDAMAN said...

Michael Latimore and Paul Pruett (sp?) were my bow tie mentors!

Hey, we'll be in Minnesota June 9-17 (MSP 9, 10, 11, and night of 16). It'd be good to see you if you have the time.

Drop me an email sometime and let me know. mdaesq AT mac DOT com.