Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Confessions of a failed leader #1

When I was feeling like a failure as a leader of a certain project, I reflected on my failure. Looking back on these reflections I realize not only how self-condemning I can get (not good), but also how insightful I can be (good thing). If you are a leader of something (and you just might be), there might be something to learn in the next fews posts called, "Confessions of a failed leader." If you are vulnerable to be depressed by e-confessions, then click here for a few days until I get this out of my system.

1. Leadership, as I understand it, requires a sacrifice I am currently unwilling to make.

2. There is no financial reward or amount of fame that can replace what I lose when I decide to lead. If I am going to lead I am going to have to find a damn good reason for it.

3. Leadership is not for me. It does nothing for me. Therefore, I am not prepared to lead. Since leadership won’t change, it’ll have to wait for me to change, if that were possible.

4. Leadership requires a love for a vision, and I’m too selfish to love a vision.

5. I can’t lead because I require praise for it.

6. I can’t lead because I don’t know where I am going.

7. I can’t lead without violating someone else’s rights, so I shouldn’t lead.

8. Leaders hold in their hands something of value to their followers. My hands are weak, rough, and clumsy.

9. I can’t lead because I don’t know how to respect other people’s valuables, their trust, their hearts, and their passions.

10. I can’t lead because I don’t know what to do with my heart, let alone someone else’s.

1 comment:

Bethie Marie said...

Jesus said, very simply, "Love One Another." If you can do this, I would say you are the kind of leader God wants. Period.

Any other "qualifications" are your own thoughts put forth by your ego to depress or discourage you. Don't allow it.